The Count of Monte Cristo


Speaking to the press between matches at the French Open, Serbian tennis star and world No. 1 Novak Đoković expressed his delight in knowing that the refugees with whom he was detained for a week at Melbourne’s infamous Park Hotel because of his COVID-19 vaccination status, have now all been released, as epilogue of a drama which has costed Liberals the government. “I’m obviously very happy about it, because I know that it was very difficult for them, particularly for the ones that stayed there for nine years”, Đoković said. “You know, I stayed there for a week, and I can’t imagine how they felt for nine years. They haven’t done anything wrong, and they are asylum seekers and stayed for nine years. That’s something I obviously did not understand why — but, if I brought some light to that situation in a positive way for them, for this to happen, then of course I’m very happy, because they got another chance in different country”. Photo © Corinne Dubreuil/FFT.